Once you're member of a team, and you've found the project you want to start on, you can start translating. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go to the page of the project you want to translate.
- On the project page, you need to select one of the "Project resources". The number of resources available for translation vary from project to project. Click the resource you want to translate
- You'll be taken to the information page for the resource. On this page, you'll find a list of 'translations' for the resource. When a project is assigned to OpenTranslators, you'll see a 'translation' for every team that's created in the OpenTranslators' portal. You won't be able to create additional translations for such a resource
- Select the language you want to translate, by clicking it
- There are two ways to translate a Transfex resource: you can translate the resource manually, or use the webbased translation tool - which is the recommended method.In the screen that popped up, click the option that matches the way you want to translate the resource
Start your manual translation by clicking "Download for translation". The resource file will be downloaded to your desktop.Before you start translating the file, click "Lock this translation to notify others..." if you want to lock this resource. This can prevent duplicate efforts.
Once you're done translating the file (partially), it's time to upload the file.To do so, click "Upload File". The language will now be updated. Since you've locked the resource for 24 hours, you'll need to unlock the language if you locked it less than 24 hours ago.
Web based translation
The webbased method is recommended, because it will automatically track your process. It also makes it easier to translate resources partially, without having to download or upload files. Files that are being translated in the web editor, will automatically be locked.
To use the web method, click "Translate". You'll be taken to a screen, where you can translate all of the strings one by one. You can navigate between pages, and start translating anywhere. From time to time, Transifex will automaticaly save your updates.
During translations, you can click the "save" button to save your work in progress. When you're done translating, click "Save and exit." If you get the message that no strings can be pushed, that means all your changes have already been saved.
And that's it! Thank you for reading our Quick Guide. If you've got any questions, remarks or suggestions - or if you'd like to help improving this manual, contact us:
- Leave a message in the forum
- Send a tweet: @opentranslators